Thursday, June 2, 2011

Stick In There

Looking back in time is one of the most rewarding experiences in weight training. One of the main reasons I enjoy weight training so much is because you can directly see results. This is not only true for size and looks but strength as well. All things are equal in the gym, 100 lbs is 100 lbs. In the classroom, you may be getting better grades but your classes might be easier too.

The first time I recall lifting weights was in my attic with my stepdad. I was doing the bench press and doing sets of 5 with 65 lbs. I honestly cannot recall when exactly this was. Whenever I am discouraged in the gym, I think back in time, whether this far back or only a few months, and try to remember how much weight I was lifting and compare. If there is a significant difference than I know I am doing something right. If not, I change something in my plan. In this case, I went from 5 reps with 65 lbs to where I am now, 5 reps with 250 lbs. I am not one to brag about my strength because truthfully I don’t care what someone else thinks about me. I am only showing you how to put things in perspective.

I first started lifting regularly halfway through my senior year in high school. If I recall correctly I started because I got dumped and I needed to de-stress. I couldn’t get alcohol on a regular basis quite yet so I chose to go to the gym instead. I’m glad I did and in the first few months I gained almost 30 lbs. This brings me to my next point. Your initial gains (any strength or size you get when you first start lifting) will almost always be phenomenal. I went from 5’ 10”, 140 lbs, to 170 lbs in less than 3 months. It’s been over 2 years since then and I’ve only gained 30 more lbs, and 20 of those have been in the past 8 months.

You will hit a plateau and at that point you must change your workouts up or you will drive yourself nuts by your lack of progress.

2 comments:

  1. Very true about the initial gains. I'm an ectomorph so my gains were a lot less, but i still put on thirty pounds in my first two years. I've been on a plateau for months now. Stuck at 185 pounds. I can only force myself to eat so much. Forcing down food gets tiring after a while! I'm about to switch up my routine as well. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely understand about the appetite issues. You could try an appetite enhancer if you want to get some more calories. I've been holding steady at 195 for a few months but luckily my strength is still going up. I don't really want to get any heavier because my pull-ups and run time will go down as my weight goes up.

    ReplyDelete